When it comes to preparing and storing seafood, knowing the shelf life of each dish is essential. Fish, especially salmon, can spoil quickly if left exposed or not stored properly. Having a good idea of how long you have before your fillet spoils can help you keep your meals tasty and safe for consumption. If you’re asking yourself ‘how long does salmon last in the fridge?’, look no further. We’ve included all the information you’ll need to know when it comes to safely enjoying this healthy alternative at its freshest.
Storing Raw Salmon In The Fridge
Before understanding how long does salmon last in the fridge, you should know how to store it. To store raw salmon in the fridge, follow these steps for optimal freshness:
- Remove the salmon from its packaging and rinse it thoroughly with cold water.
- Pat dry the salmon using a paper towel.
- Wrap the salmon tightly in a layer of plastic wrap, followed by another layer of aluminum foil.
- For added flavor, you can include lemon slices before wrapping up the salmon.
- Place the wrapped salmon in the coldest part of your refrigerator, typically the bottom drawer.
- Ensure that your fridge is set to the appropriate temperature of around 32 degrees Fahrenheit for safety.
By following these guidelines, you can maintain the freshness of your raw salmon for up to two days.
How Long Does Salmon Last In The Fridge?
Now that here are the answer to the question “how long does salmon last in the fridge?”. Salmon can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two days, according to USDA guidance, once fully thawed. Ensure that the temperature in your fridge is 40F/4.4C or colder to prevent spoilage before the two-day mark.
How Long Will Frozen Salmon Be Good In The Freezer?
After knowing how long does salmon last in the fridge, you should know the time storing frozen salmon in the freezer. The storage duration of frozen salmon is typically 9-12 months. While it is safe to keep salmon in the freezer for an extended period, it is important to note that the quality may decline after the 12-month mark.
How Long Can Cooked Salmon Stay In The Fridge?
According to the USDA guidelines, cooked salmon can be safely refrigerated for a period of three to four days.
Can I Refreeze Previously Frozen Salmon?
It is safe to refreeze previously frozen salmon as long as it is still fresh and packaged appropriately. If you originally planned to cook the salmon but changed your mind, simply ensure that it is properly repackaged and return it to the freezer.
Can You Refreeze Thawed Salmon?
Refreezing thawed salmon is safe and in accordance with the USDA’s guidance. As long as the fish has been consistently kept at a refrigerator-like temperature and hasn’t spoiled, it can be refrozen without any concerns.
How To Tell If Salmon Is Bad?
Here are some ways to determine if salmon is bad:
- Expiration date: Check the salmon’s label for the expiration date. If it has passed the date, it should be discarded.
- Smell: Fresh salmon should have a neutral or mild smell. If it smells fishy, sour, or ammonia-like, it indicates spoilage.
- Appearance: Fresh salmon fillets should be bright pink or orange without any discoloration, darkening, or drying around the edges. Dull or gray coloring, dark spots, or filmy white residue are signs of spoilage. Whole fish should have clear, shiny eyes and red gills. Dull or faded eyes or gills indicate that the fish is not fresh.
- Texture: Fresh salmon has a firm texture, and the flesh should spring back when pressed. If the texture is mushy or slimy, it is a sign that the salmon is bad.
Note: According to the FDA website, “fresh fish and fish fillets sold as ‘Previously Frozen’ may not have all the characteristics of fresh fish (e.g., bright eyes, firm flesh, red gills, flesh, or bloodlines), however, they should still smell fresh and mild, not fishy, sour, or rancid.”
How To Reheat Salmon?
To reheat salmon, follow these steps:
- Place the fish on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Warm it in a 275°F oven for approximately 15 minutes.
- Check the internal temperature, ensuring it reaches 125°F to 130°F.
- Remember to go low and slow when reheating your leftover salmon fillet to prevent it from drying out. Additionally, add moisture back by splashing a little water.
Easy Salmon Recipe
For an easy salmon recipe, begin by marinating the fish fillets with olive oil, garlic powder, dried thyme, black pepper, and salt. Bake in a 425-degree Fahrenheit oven until cooked through, approximately 12 to 15 minutes. An alternative to olive oil is melted butter for marination. Serve with fresh salads like Western-style Caesar salad or Asian-style seafood salad. In East Asian cuisine, this fish protein is commonly paired with rice, warm soup, and pickled vegetables such as radish.
How long can marinated salmon stay in the fridge?
Marinated salmon can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to two to three days. However, it is recommended to consume it as soon as possible to enjoy the flavors at their peak.
Can you cook bacteria off of spoiled salmon?
Cooking the meat to the appropriate temperature can eliminate a smaller number of bacteria present on fresh meat. However, it is unlikely to eliminate the numerous bacterial colonies on spoiled salmon.
#Long #Salmon #Fridge #Ways, 1699734893